You will notice the calendar is full of exciting events, so be sure to check it and this blog regularly this month!
I sent an email home last week to make sure emails were being received. If you have not responded, or didn't get an email from me (check your junk mail also), please let me know so we can get you in the email loop.
Week at a Glance
Monday, October 5, 2015
- No School for students.
Tuesday, October 6 -- Friday, October 9, 2015
- Feed the Bug week - help us fill the shelves at the local Food Banks.
We will be collecting non-perishable food items throughout the week. A few ideas are canned fish or meat, pasta and sauce, canned fruit and veggies, and canned soup.
On Friday the school will collectively bring all our food together to Feed the Bug.
Wednesday, October 7, 2015
- Corn Maze Field Trip
We are leaving the school at 9:15am and returning around 1:00pm. Students are required to bring a bag lunch as we will be enjoying a picnic style lunch at the corn maze. I will collect all lunches in the morning and keep them all together. It is very important that lunches be nut free! Please also make sure your child is dressed for the weather today. It should be a nice day, but the mornings are pretty chilly! Proper shoes will also be very helpful as we will be exploring the corn maze and farm for the morning. We are excited about this fun trip!
Secret Blog Task: Answer this question in your agenda.
My favourite thing about the corn maze field trip was........
Thursday, October 8, 2015
- Library books are due, and we are handing in our bookmobile registration forms today.
- Family Fun night - Mission Impossible at 5:30-7:30pm. Come to the gym and check out our Mission Impossible set up for this year!
We are currently working towards building our own Snoezelen room at Park Meadows. At Mission Impossible night we are going to sell raffle tickets for some fun prizes in order to raise money for this. Check out the video link below to learn a little more about the Snoezelen room.
Friday, October 9, 2015
- Genius in Me begins. Grade 1-2 students were given the choice between Musical Theatre, Lego club, Cards and Board Games, Yoga, or Zumba. They will find out which club they are in for the next 5 weeks today. Be sure to ask them about their first day!
- October book orders are due today.
Monday, October 12, 2015 - Thanksgiving Day - no school.
Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - Hot Lunch forms for Taco Time are due today. Students receive the lunch later this month.
Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - Scientists in Schools presents Science WOW to our class in the morning. A note went home in agendas last week looking for a few volunteers. Feel free to write in your child's agenda, or email me if you're able to help. I will confirm with volunteers this week.
Mrs. Oviatt comes to our classroom to talk to us about feelings, identity, and relaxation strategies.
Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - first swimming trip of the year! We need lots of volunteers for this, please watch for the forms that come home soon.
Thursday, October 22, 2015 - no school in the afternoon - Professional Learning for teachers.
Friday, October 23, 2015 - no school - Professional Learning for teachers.
Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - UofL nursing students present "Do Bugs Need Drugs" - a program about germs and proper hand washing. Picture retakes are also happening today.
Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - Taco Time hot lunch is served! Thanks Parent Council! It is also "Backwards" day, so mix it up today.
Thursday, October 29, 2015 - Halloween Carnival put on by parent council in the evening.
Friday, October 30, 2015 - School Halloween Parade at 8:45am and class Halloween party.
Highlights from Last Week
Hot Lunch - Thanks Parent Council for organizing our hotdog lunch!
Terry Fox at Henderson LakeThis was an amazing event! I was so proud of the students for how engaged they were with Terry's story, and with how they represented Park Meadows at the event! It was really neat to have Terry Fox's dad speak at the event, and to remember Terry and his Marathon of Hope with 17 other schools from Lethbridge!
What We are Learning
- continuing our letter and sounds with printing formation
- Getting to Know You writing - finding out about our friends in class, while practicing basic writing as a class.
- Read to Self - working on building our reading stamina with good fit books and learning new strategies to help us be better readers.
- wrapping up our repeating patterns
- continuing 2D shapes
- urban vs. rural
- seasons - fall
Thanks for reading, have a great week!