Skip to main content

Ideas While You're Home - 1st Edition

Happy Wednesday students!

First I hope your day is off to a good start. Remember that no matter what is going on, you still have the power to choose.
Hopefully a few of these challenges today will boost your spirits, wake up your brains, and make you feel like the classroom is right where you are!


Challenge #1

Listen to the Podcast below:

Big Life Kids Podcast - Episode 1 (feel free to just search this also, or use one of the links below)

Spotify Link

Apple Podcast link

See if you can complete the Bingo board below while you listen.

Now just like we think while we read, during this time of online reading/listening we also need to make sure we are thinking while listening.

Here are a few questions to answer after you've listened to the podcast/story. You could write these in a journal if you want or just discuss them with an adult. (You are always welcome to send me pictures of your writing, I would love to see it!)

1. What did they say a growth mindset was?

2. Can you find Paraguay on a map? What continent is it in?

3. Did Favio and Colá stop dreaming about teaching music lessons because they didn't have the money for new instruments? Explain.

4. What could you make out of "garbage" or repurpose something while you're at home. A game? An instrument? A new toy? Can you make "magic out of rubbish"? Send me a picture and I'll post creations to share with each other!

5. What was the lesson of the podcast today? How did it inspire you during this time of uncertainty. Write a journal entry and reflect on how you are feeling and if believing in yourself could help you during this time.

My message to you:
You can do this! You can keep learning, growing, and getting better each day at home. Always ask for help, your teachers are here even though we can't be together in person! I believe in you! 


Challenge #2

Write a note/letter to someone. 

This could be someone in your house. It could be a friend from our class (send me a picture of your note and I'll send it on to your friend). It could be someone you need to mail your letter to (just check with your parents first).

Write something to brighten their day. Tell a joke, draw a fun picture, share what you like about them. This could be completed on a recycled envelope, a piece of paper ripped from a notebook, a blank piece of paper, or a real card. Don't let the materials stop you!


Challenge #3

Login to your own email. It is the same email and password you would use to login to a computer at school. (message me on Dojo if you aren't sure, or didn't get an email)
There will be a message from me waiting for you! Feel free to read it and reply later - or right away. Your choice! We can be penpals!

In the email there will be a link with a login and password for Prodigy Math. I've never used this site before, but I've heard great things.... so let's try it out!

I challenge you to "play math" for 15-20 mins. 


Challenge #4

Check Dojo.
I will read more from Wonder, and Miss McKay and myself are going to remind you of a quick and easy math game you can play with cards today!

Challenge #5

I've posted 3 pictures below. 1 is the information page for our next experiments, and 2 are experiments that you can try at home.




Again, send us pictures of what you discover!

Challenge #6

Get OUTSIDE! Send me a picture of you playing outside. Let's share these with each other so we don't feel so disconnected!

If you can't get outside, search gonoodle on youtube and have a little movement party in your house!

Whatever you do today, I challenge you to move your body for at least 30 mins!


Challenge #7

Do something creative. Here are a few links to cool art things you could do today!

Art for Kids Hub

Mo Willems Lunch Doodles


That is a lot of challenges - so don't feel like you have to do all of them in one day. They are just ideas to get you started! Let me know how it goes though. Don't forget to read a book, just for fun! :)

 Remember, 
I miss you, I believe in you, 
and we can do hard things!

Note to parents: this is all trial and error right now, and I would love your feedback. My thoughts right now are to update this as often as I can, and to post pictures of students work each day when I get some. I encourage you to send me pictures on Dojo of your child working. Seeing pictures of each other I think will help us feel less apart.
I by no means expect students to complete all of these, and at this time, I'm not marking any of it. I just have a brain full ideas, and a computer full of resources so I thought I might as well send some stuff out!
Also, if this overwhelms you extra in any way, just do what you want, leave the rest!
I will continue to use a combination of this blog and Class Dojo until I find out more, or figure out something better. My tech skills are limited so just trying to use what I can :)