Skip to main content

Day #4 Thankful Thursday!

Activities for Day #4

These are activities that I suggest students try and accomplish each day. There will typically be a reading, writing, word work, and 2 math activities. I feel like a broken record, but truly do what you can, and aim for the learning to be an enjoyable time. Reach out if you have any questions or concerns!

Activity #1 - READING

We are nearing the end of the week, which means you should be almost done your first "writing about reading" good fit book. Below is a little video to talk about what I hope and expect you to do with this work. Remember that your goal is to finish just one of these good fit books each week, so I hope you've spread out the work. Maybe today you read the book out loud to someone, or even better, you send me a Dojo portfolio video of you reading the book out loud! Then make sure you have discussed all the questions, and written the answers to at least 2 questions in full sentences, just like I modelled in the video.
Did you know you don't need to return those books, so if you feel like it, you could colour and decorate your books each week too! 
If you are done that work already, way to go! Read just for fun instead!
Last thing - have you been filling out your Covid Reading Log? Do this so you can look back and celebrate your reading life!

Activity #2 - WRITING

It's Thankful Thursday! 
This is one of my favourite days of the week as I love seeing what you guys are thankful for! During this time of isolation and uncertainty I truly believe that gratitude is so key to us keeping our chins up. Please be sure to send me your thankful Thursday, as I want to compile them together into a cool print out each week. You can take a picture of your writing from your writers notebook, you can use the journal part of Dojo portfolio, or you could write it on the gratitude papers I sent home in your take home pack, and send a picture. 
I encourage you to write a list of 3-5 things that you are grateful for, but remember that we were working on making these specific.
For example, I could say I'm grateful for my family.
OR 
I could say - I'm grateful for the walk we went on together as a family last night. It was chilly out, but Nixon loved touching the snow, and Seth was so happy to get fresh air. I'm glad we are forced to be home and making time to soak in this time together. 

Activity #3 - WORD WORK

Today is the day to finish up your spelling city assignments so that you are ready for your test tomorrow! The last assignment is the test - if you feel ready to take it early, go for it! Otherwise you can complete it tomorrow. In the following weeks you will only have the test available on the last day of the week, that was a glitch on my part this week :) So feel free to get ahead and have an easier Friday! So at this point you should have 5/6 assignments complete, or 6/7 assignments complete. If you are not caught up, it will create extra work for tomorrow because you must do these assignments in order.

Activity #4 - MATH

In your take home package was a math booklet. This was our next math booklet in school, so we will continue if through online lessons. 
There are 3 different groups for these math lessons - and I've sent out what colour group you are in through Dojo messages this morning. So get your math booklet ready, watch the teaching video, and work on your assignment for the day. 
If you have any questions about your work, let me know, I'm happy to plan a zoom meeting, or phone call in order to help you out! 

Activity #5 - MATH

I can see that many of you have spent some time on Prodigy math game. I encourage you to play for 10-20 minutes today. Miss McKay and myself have been trying it out, and it's a fun way to learn and review math concepts! 

Challenges for Day #3

The following challenges below are meant to enhance your child's learning. I challenge students to complete as many as they want or can.

Challenge #1 - Zoom Class Meeting!

It's zoom meeting day! Let's meet at 10:30am - follow the link and password on the Dojo invite! Don't forget to bring your Thankful Thursday to share, and your whiteboard, marker, and eraser for an activity. Hope to see lots of students on zoom!

Challenge #2 - Tips for Isolation 

I have been a fan of the Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield for quite some time. About a week ago he shared some tips for self isolation that I thought were neat, and that I wanted to share. Watch the video below, and then talk to someone in your house about it after. 
  • 1. Know the Risks
  • 2. Whats your goals during this time?
  • 3. Look at your constraints? (what does the word constraints mean?)
  • 4. Take action
My question for you is - what is your goal during this time? How will you take care of your spaceship? How will you help yourself and others so we can have happy landings? 
Just a few things for you to think about today! 
Take Care!
Stay tuned for more Chris Hadfield content next week! :)

Challenge #3 - Move it, move it!

Get your move on! Try this 15 minute workout video with your family! Seth and me are going to try it too! 

Challenge #4 - Wonder

Listen to me read Wonder! Be kind to one another today!