Skip to main content

Day Three - It's Wednesday!

Activities for Day #3
These are activities that I suggest students try and accomplish each day. There will typically be a reading, writing, word work, and 2 math activities. I feel like a broken record, but truly do what you can, and aim for the learning to be an enjoyable time. Reach out if you have any questions or concerns!

Activity #1 - READING : Read for 20 mins minimum! :)
There is no assigned or suggested reading for today, I just want you to find joy in reading today! Just remember that good readers are thinkers!

Activity #2 - WRITING - write for 20 mins minimum!
I am so excited about your writing assignment today. Did you know that today is April Fools!
Parents I'm sorry in advance!
Students - I want you to play a trick on someone today! Have fun with this, but be kind, and don't take it too far! Watch this video for some inspiration.
How does writing relate with doing an April fools joke? Well, you could write a 'how to' piece on what you need to do to pull off a prank. You could write a 'small moments' piece about what happened - make sure you include how people reacted to your trick.
Now if you don't want to play an April Fools joke yourself, write about jokes or pranks you've heard of or seen others pull, or even write a review of the April Fools pranks videos above. Do you think their pranks were good, why or why not?
I can't wait to see your writing from today!
*Remember, these are just writing prompts, I just want you writing for 20 mins a day minimum!*
Here is an example of my April fools writing:
It was Tuesday night, and I looked at the calendar. "April begins tomorrow" I thought to myself. Wait a minute, April 1st is April fools day. We definitely could use a little extra fun in our house right now, and Seth doesn't even know what April fools is yet. What a year to teach him!
I called Seth to come into the kitchen and explained that we were going to play a trick on his dad. We started thinking about what he could do, but to be honest, 4 year olds don't have very good trick ideas. I don't actually think he really even understands what a trick is. 
Seth just so happened to be holding an empty strawberry container (recycling is my boys favourite toys, there is recycling all over our house), and he had stuffed it with other recycling. This gave me an idea! Every morning Graham makes smoothies for our family for breakfast. I knew we had just finished a container of yogurt, so we found the old yogurt container on the floor. We filled it with other garbage, left a note inside, and put it with the smoothie supplies in the fridge. Both Seth and me are so excited to see what his reaction will be in the morning! We hope it makes him smile. 

Looking forward - tomorrow is Thankful Thursday. We will be sharing our Thankful Thursdays during our Zoom meeting at 10:30am, so try and get that done before the Zoom meeting. More details on tomorrows blog.

Activity #3 - WORD WORK: 10 mins
Only do word work today if you are behind on your spelling city assignments. Otherwise, use this extra time for your writing activity today.

                    SPELLING CITY

Activity #4 - MATH: 20 mins
Mr. William's has been creating some amazing Math resources over on his blog. He has also created some duotangs that make for easy and repetitive practice, however, we haven't used them in our class yet. He does talk about the duotangs - but we will just use our whiteboards set up like the picture below to practice what he is teaching. If you have dice, they are a great way for students to work independently on this, or you could use a deck of cards without the 10's, J, Q, and K's in order to generate numbers to do the questions. Last option - ask an adult to give you a random number!

**at this point in the year, some students had a good understanding of regrouping in addition and subtraction, while others were still being introduced to the concept. Just keep that knowledge in mind as you assist your child**
Feel free to check out his class blog for lots of math resources and other good stuff if you want to!
Practice your math addition and subtraction for approximately 20 mins after watching the video from Mr. Williams. Feel free to work on single digit, double digit, or triple digit problems. 

Activity #5 - MATH
Look at the picture of the whiteboard below. Pay attention to the tips I gave in the Dojo morning video. Upload your work onto Dojo portfolios if you can!

Challenges for Day #3
The following challenges below are meant to enhance your child's learning. I challenge students to complete as many as they want or can.

Challenge #1 - Music!
One of my best friends is an incredible music teacher at Coalbanks Elementary. Ms Costello is creating simple lessons you can do at home. Music brings lots of joy, and works a different part of your brain, so see what you can learn and practice with this lesson!
A super challenge for this is to send me a little video of you doing this activity. I want to share a couple videos with Ms Costello to say thanks for sharing her lessons with me!

Challenge #2 - Draw on Dojo
Use the student part of the dojo app to draw a picture to add to your portfolio.
**parents - I've created an account for my son Seth, to try and see what you see from your side. When I ask students to add to their portfolio, you need to change the account to student view (in the top left hand corner on the app). Then there is a place that says Mrs. Reimer's class. If you click on that there will be a To Do if I've asked them to submit something (like today), or there is a spot that says create new. Here they can add a journal, photo, video, or drawing. Today they will add a drawing. Hope that helps you navigate. 
You can draw any picture you want, but I'm putting a link to the Mo Willems lunchtime doodles if you want to try that today! He's fun to draw with, I've tried a few!

Challenge #3 - Wonder
Listen to me read Wonder! Have you been able to keep up?

Challenge #4 - Snow Day
Go play in the snow! Get that fresh air we all need!
That's all for today, don't forget to check in and send me your work through Class Dojo!